General Overview of the Cars Condition
The car had a mediocre overspray to convert it from white to silver. As you can see, the windows and most of the trim was not removed prior to painting. Also, it looks like the original paint was not cleaned as well as it could be, so it is starting to crack. As with most repaints, the previous owner did not bother to paint the dash. This gives me a great sample of the original white to match when I get to painting the exterior.
There is a little rust in the usual locations (bottom of the door and the floor pans), but as the car has never left
The leather is totally shot. There are a few pieces that can be used as templates, but 10 years of baking in the
The previous owners son recovered the rear package panel and added his own details. I don't know if this was appreciated or not, as when I got the car, this piece was covered with white shag carpet. I recently found this in the garage rafters.
I also need a headlight lens, a taillight lens (unique to the Series III), a frame for the drivers door kickplate, a new antenna, screws to attach the door latch strike plate and all the seal rubber, which is totally dried out. In addition, it looks like welded on screws are broken on a headlight surround and the driver's side engine vent.
The one major problem that I can see is that the frame is broken on the front passengers side. It may be hard to see, but the nose of the car is a bit tweaked. I think the car was once pulled into the garage a little too far. The break is in front of the suspension, so is probably not dangerous. In fact, it looks like the car was driven for quite a while after this occurred. I, however, am not interested in driving it until this is fixed. Now I have to find someone familiar with welding tubular frame elements. Any suggestions???
Overall though, the car is in great shape. It was a daily driver until the previous owner passed, so all the parts are there and they did work once. It is quite original. Neither owner appeared to replace anything. They either valued originality or were too cheap to replace things, so everything is there. In fact, to date the only non-stock part I have found is the eight track player. Fortunately, in the spirit of never throwing away anything useful, I found the original radio in the previous owners garage.
In addition to the radio, I am lucky to have a few other
items that will be the envy of other GTE owners. First, in the glove box was the original
owner's manual. Second, for reasons that
I cannot fathom, in the trunk is a spare windshield. Also in the trunk was a full engine gasket
set, in the original box. I have no idea
if this is still usable, but I like it!
I recently found in his garage a set of aftermarket headrests, in
matching leather and in the original box.
They were never installed, but are fun to have. Lastly, the car came with a moderately complete
tool kit. The tools were half Craftsman
and half Ferrari. I later went to the
previous owners house and asked to look at his tool box. As I suspected, it was half Craftsman, half
Ferrari! Now all I need is the Hub
Puller (the only usable tool in the whole kit) and the lube gun extension to
have a complete set.
Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: General Overview of the Cars Condition.
TrackBack URL for this entry: