| | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

        Ok, enough about me.  Let's talk about the car. 

         Carrozzeria Ferina began construction of chassis number 2126 on November 23, 1962.  It was to be given a Coupe 2+2 body, painted Bianco (White) and fitted with a Pelle Rossa (Red) Connelley leather interior.  Soon thereafter, over in the Ferrari factory, work began on an engine that was to become number 4247.  It was fitted with three 36 DCL Carburetors, a model that was unusual for this car.  On February 15, 1963, shop foreman Franchini wrote "Montato sfiati sulla distribuzione" or "Mounted vents on the distribution," though I have no idea why.  The engine was completed by Sr. Taddei on the 19th, and tested by Sr. Ciocci the same day, On  February 25,1963, my car rolled out of the factory, a certified Ferrari; destined for the United States and Hollywood Sports Cars. 

         Tyler Gregory of Pasadena, California purchased my car some time in mid 1963.  As I was told by a business partner, Tyler Gregory was, by profession, a "sportsman."  That is, he played a lot of golf, raced motorcycles and power boats, had more than a few female friends and, in his spare time, owned Beverly Hills BMW.  He was quite a legend at work and the Annandale Country Club, where the white Ferrari was present in every story.

        In 1984, Tyler passed away and his widow sold the car to Charles Metcalf of Culver City, California.  Mrs. Metcalf told me that getting that Ferrari was one of the happiest days of Charles' life.  It became a daily driver for him and he loved to tinker with it on the weekends.  Charles did not like to spend money on the car; if an arm rest tore, duct tape did the trick.  If a gage malfunctioned, he cut the wire.  When the leather package shelf faded from the sun, white shag carpet was a fine replacement.  He did, however, have the exterior painted silver.  Fortunately, Charles was no slouch in the mechanical department.  He tuned the V-12 by ear and kept the car running smoothly until he passed away in the mid 1990's.  At that point, the car was put on blocks, covered with a tarp and left to sit for almost 10 years.


Metcalf Photo Medium.jpg

        I first heard about the car at a local block party.  I told Mrs. Metcalf that the car should be sold, since the California sun would eventually destroy it.  Tom Shaughnessy was sniffing around for parts, but she would only consider selling to someone who loved the car as much as her husband.  I was not aware that Ferrari made such a car and under the assumption that I would be dealing with a Lusso, California, or dare I say it, a GTO, thought I could not afford the car.  Fortunately for me, it was a GTE and I could afford it.  So, in late 2001, for $15,000, the rental of a flat bed tow truck and a promise to let her daughter take a spin when it ran again, 250 Pinin Farina Coupe 2+2 number 4247 was mine.  It was one of the happiest days of my life.

0 TrackBacks

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: History.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://www.ferrari250gte.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/6

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Tom published on October 7, 2007 8:02 PM.

Who Am I? was the previous entry in this blog.

General Overview of the Cars Condition is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Powered by Movable Type 4.0