The Front Hubs and the Hub Puller
This week I removed the front hubs. Again, I had to pull the cotter pin inside
the hub, then use an extra large socket with extension to remove the
bolt.. However, this time the hub did
not slide off the way the back hubs did.
Lots of tugging and staring did no good. Then it hit me, maybe I could use the Hub
Puller I just purchased for the tool kit!
It is amazing how often the obvious just sails right on past me....
Once the hub is off, there are two backing plates to be
removed. The bearings remain inside the
hub and will be removed later.
Following that, I had a nice day of degreasing parts. When you read articles or blogs on car restoration, degreasing is a process that is mentioned as an aside, if at all. Today I found out that it is not a minor job! Most of the afternoon was spent scrubbing the hub parts, only to reveal rust. I will probably have to remove the rust in the blast cabinet, but at least now I can pick the parts up without gloves and an apron. Later, when all the parts are clean, I got to clean the cleaner! The fun never ends...
Something I ignored last week was the removal of the rubber gasket from one of the rear axle pieces. I decided not to attempt this until I found out how to do it properly. It turns out that it was pressure fit, so all I had to do was to tap it out from the rear with a hammer. Obvious now, but I'm glad I did not wack it only to find out that it screwed in!